Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sir Hops Alot and Blue Bunny

Since November I've been knitting non-stop.  I blame this pattern.

I found it on Pinterest back in October and thought it was the CUTEST thing ever.  However, when I read the pattern instructions it scared the hell out of me. It might as well have been in Chinese.  So, I taught myself via YouTube channels and friends how to knit.

My most recent adventure was finally taking the leap from scarves to knitting a toy on straight needles.  I found this adorable knit bunny pattern (thank you Pinterest!) and it seemed easy enough for me to make. 

Introducing... Sir Hops Alot!
And Blue Bunny!

I used this tutorial to make Sir Hops Alot and Blue Bunny.  I used a long pair of size 4 straight needles to make Sir Hops Alot, but that ended up hurting my wrist.  So, my Blue Bunny was knit on size 8 circular needles which made it a lot easier.  Highly recommend that (although, I don't recommend buying circular needles with 36" cables. The cables get twisted and it frustrated the crap out of me. Newbie mistake!)

To make the ears, I followed the instructions in the tutorial for decreasing and increasing the stitches, but I used this video as a guideline to make it a different color on each side.

I didn't like how she did the normal ears.  It looked too... ehh. I really wanted to add some flare to it.  Another project I'm working on had me whipstitch another knit swatch to the ears to give it two tones, but I thought was still phfft.  Tried to make it a little "me" I guess.  Plus the faceless bunny look was going to give me nightmares so I added some eyes, nose, and some whiskers.

Also, the same blog posted a new tutorial on an easier bunny... but I haven't made that yet.  It's cute, but I like mine more.

No comments:

Post a Comment