Tuesday, March 19, 2013

When I dip, you dip, we dip.

I've been working on Nina a lot lately, so Pinta has been glaring at me in judgement the whole time.  Since she's older and needs more love, I decided to make a cover for her (something I've been meaning to do but kept forgetting) to keep the dust out.

Remember those KitchenAid Covers I made? Well, I used the same principle for it but I didn't want to make it the same boring one fabric.  I wanted to make it similar to this, but not exactly the same. So it inspired me to do a quilted block for the cover.  But I did use maxi piping again (I kind of fell in love with that stuff).

I found a really cool bear tracks block on Pinterest and modified it so it was tracks walking up and over my machine.  I added a solid stripe next to it so it would be a bear walking under the night sky.


I only did four but looking at it now I could have done six or eight and it would have looked better. Oh well.

Originally, I was going to use this as an excuse to work on my machine quilting skills with Nina, but I opted to be SUPER nerdy.  Can you tell what I did? No? Well... maybe you tell what they are from looking at the side piece of the cover ....

The dork inside me is giddy. (It's Orion the Hunter).

I started in the middle and pinned the heck out of it with the piping in between the two pieces.  Seriously, the more pins the better for this.

See the Big Dipper? I know, there's about an inch gap from the bottom.  I'm OK with that, but I'll have to add an inch next time.

You can see the Little Dipper now (that thread is from the piece of fabric place holder, not my cover).  Get why the tracks had to be bears? The original constellations (Ursa Major and Ursa Minor) are shown as bears, not cups or anything dipper-related.

Orion didn't come out as well he should have. My mistake when sewing them together.

Technically, this is reversible but I really made this side pop so... no need to see the other side. =) Happy sewing!

OK.... fine! Here's the other side. But there are no fancy stitches or piping, just plain crazy cat lady fabric....



Feedback welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment